Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pre-Trek. Glasgow to Milngavie

Most who hike the West Highland Way begin in Milngavie, the official
start to the hike. Knowing us as you do, we never do anything like
everyone else does! So we opted to hike from Glasgow to Milngavie.
By car, it is about 6 miles. Walking, it is about 11 due to the
winding trail. Left Glasgow a little after 9 this morning and arrived
at our lunch destination around 1:00 p.m. The Tickle Trout Pub, at
least 100 years old or more, served a wonderful Scottish lunch. After
a short rest after lunch, we walked the hour or so into Milngavie to
our current B & B, Best Foot Forward. We walked into the village of
Milngavie, where we found a wonderful pub called Cross Keys,
recommended by our hostess. More great food, more Strongbow, and of
course, another pear cider! Good thing we are walking this all off!

The walk today was easy, except for one little glitch. I was going to
leave this part out, but due to pressure (3 against 1) I guess I have
to "tell". Hiking along the Kelvin River, we were on a very muddy
sloppy trail. Trying to avoid a large puddle, I went around on an
incline, immediately slipped and then fell against a barbed wire
fence. Most of you know I can put a tennis shot pretty much on the
spot. My accuracy today proved to be just as good as I managed to hit
one of the barbs, impaling my arm. Ya, nice. So we had a slight
delay while first aid was administered. I am happy to report that
Kari's first aid certification came in quite handy today. My arm
looks a little like a heroin addicts, with nasty marks and one large
injection site, but other than that, I survived the ordeal. Ok, now
you all know!

Tomorrow we are off to Drymen, which is 12 miles. Breakfast is at 8.
We'll be off shortly after that. So, until then, happy trails!

1 comment:

  1. We wanted the picture of your arm!!!!! Blood is good for blogs, readers want more violence. :)

    ReplyDelete